Adel Ras Clinical Psychology

What does a psychologist do?

Psychologists are health care workers registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA). They provide services in the field of psychology and mental health. Currently, the HPCSA has five registration categories for psychologists: Clinical Psychologists, Counseling Psychologists, Educational Psychologists, Industrial Psychologists and Research Psychologists.

Psychologists in their various capacities, are generally trained in the field of Mental Health and required to complete an undergraduate degree (all registration categories), honors degree (all categories) and master’s degree (except Industrial psychologists). Hereafter, an internship in the respective sub-field of psychology should be completed. Clinical psychologists are also required to do a community service year before qualification.

Psychologists in the respective categories of registration, generally provide psychotherapy and psychological assessment, assisting organizations to best manage human resources or doing research. Psychologist in their respective field of qualification work with thought patterns, emotional reactions and behaviors to address various difficulties encountered individually, within an organization or in communities.

Comment on this FAQ

Close Menu